Sat & Sun 8:00 am – 11:00 am
Every Day 12:00 noon – 2:30 pm
Every Day 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Excluding Public Holidays
(03) 8558 4700
History of the HMAS Warramunga
The Warramunga Restaurant at the Waverley RSL is named in honour of HMAS Warramunga, a Tribal Class Destroyer built for the Royal Australian Navy at Cockatoo Island dockyards in Sydney.
The ship was named after a fierce looking Aboriginal tribe who had their tribal lands centred on Tennant Creek in the Northern Territory.
Commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy on the 23rd of November 1942, HMAS Warramunga served with distinction in the South West Pacific for the remainder of World War II.
The HMAS Warramunga was present in Tokyo Bay when the Japanese surrender was signed on the 3rd of September 1945 and a Japanese Flag and bearing the signatures of those present is displayed in the restaurant.
After World War II, the Warramunga continued to serve in the waters of Japan and Korea up until 1952.
Although the HMAS Warramunga ceased to be a unit of the RAN in December 1959, the name lives on with a new HMAS Warramunga commissioned in March 2001 at a ceremony at Port Melbourne. The new Warramunga is the third of the ANZAC Class Frigates built at Williamstown.